SPRING 2020 MEETING
THE PATRON IS A PERSON: BRIDGING THE GAP TO IMPROVE SERVICES TO LIBRARY PATRONS WITH MENTAL HEALTH NEEDS
For many, the library is a safe, non-judgmental space where a patron can explore and acquire new knowledge. Patrons who are grappling with immediate mental health challenges who visit our libraries may find themselves in need of assistance. This will be especially true when our libraries reopen and our patrons return. We may also need to recognize mental health crises being experienced by our colleagues and ourselves as we begin our “new normal.” This program will introduce you to resources and trainings to not only support these patrons in need, but to support you and your library staff so that they can respond appropriately with compassion and care for the patron and themselves. This is a must attend for managers, directors, and librarians working in medical, scientific, or public libraries.
- Denise Driscoll, RN-BC, CARN, PMHCNS-BC, NPP, Assistant Vice President of Behavioral Health at Mather Hospital
- Debra Engelhardt, MLS, Director of Comsewogue Public Library & Adjunct Professor at Palmer School of Library and Information Science
- Driscoll and Ms. Engelhardt will be presenting their research project entitled To Boldly Go: Operation Mental Health in the Public Library.
- Alexis Rodgers, LMSW, Coordinator for Mental Health Education at the Association for Mental Health and Wellness (MHAW)
- Rodgers will discuss the workshops, trainings and support services the MHAW offers to libraries across Long Island.
DATE: Monday, June 8th, 2020
LOCATION: On LILRC Zoom ~ Instructions will be sent to you when you register
TIME: Sign on starts at 9:15 AM
- Speakers Program from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM ~ 1.5 Professional Development Hours earned by all attendees
- MEDLI Meeting to follow 11:00 AM to Noon
We will open up the meeting to allow discussion among the attendees about their own mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic and their concerns and ideas about our future reopening experiences.
REGISTER HERE: https://www.lilrc.org/event-3777775
BY FRIDAY, JUNE 5, 2020
Thanks to the generosity of our outstanding co-sponsors, the Long Island Library Resource Council (LILRC) and the Suffolk Cooperative Library System, this program is free to all attendees! Please let us know in advance if you will need an accommodation that will make the event accessible to you. We encourage everyone who attends to become MEDLI members for the low annual membership fee of $15.00. Learn more about MEDLI here: https://medli.org/